Friday, August 14, 2009

Our new appliance for $93!

 

Story...
We purchased a new refrigerator last May. It was a LG, side by side. Bought it at Sears and received a great price during a Memorial Day sale. They delivered it and I was so excited not to have the small apt size one we had been using, but this huge 27 cubic feet one. But things went down hill from there.

Over the course of this past year we have had the service people out here 5 times! They replaced 4 parts and it never seemed to work right. It either would freeze the damper door shut between the freezer and frig. causing the frig to become very warm spoiling everything. Or it would freeze the damper door open and therefore freeze all our refrigerator stuff. When we returned from FL this past July it was frozen open and everything was frozen solid. Agggg! I pulled out all our warrenty papers and called Sears, again.

At Sears they informed me our refrigerator was 53 days over the warrenty and there was NOTHING they could do. I did some research and learned that if an appliance is fixed for the same problem 4-6 times in a year it can be replaced. I called Sears back, but not give in and they would not agree.

Frustration at this point was coursing through my veins...We have had SO many issues with this frig and now that the SAME thing has happened again (4 times in one year) there was nothing they could do?! I prayed about what to do--fix it through Sears for about $200+, throw it away, call a separate repair guy to get their opinion-which I did and who told me that they can't get LG parts and he couldn't do anything either--it seemed we were stuck with a lemon.

I then called back to talk to two different managers where Sears finally begrudgingly decided they could give me a voucher that let me have one free service repair (them paying for the service, us paying for the parts) to fix it again. ...And then if I wanted, when it was fixed, I could purchase a $250 warrenty against future problems. I talked to Justin and we decided this was the only option that we could do without just throwing the frig. out and replace it with a brand new one, losing $1000 in the process.

A week went by and the service tech finally came out. He was about 2 hours late and that made me even more frustrated at the service Sears provides. He came in and did a thorough job looking at it and asking me about everything that had been done in the past year. I was very specific, had all my dates and parts lined up and told him everything that had been going on. He then proceeded to say he needed to go to his truck. ...I was all the while wondering what could possibly take him so long. Finally he came in, 20 minutes later and said Sears will be calling in a minute or so to bring us a replacement! OH MY GOODNESS! I was super excited. After all this time and all the headache of trying to have them send a replacement/fix it God used this repair man to get us a new frig. I then asked if he was a Christian, he said he, "thinks there is a good higher power". I told him I had been praying about what could be done and that God has used him to answer our prayer! Then I offered him some cookies...he took 5! :)

I talked on the phone to Sears Customer Solutions for 30 minutes and instead of them replacing this model they would give us our choice of a new one or the same model-just a working one. YEAH! But it got even better. They said that they would call me back in about 4 hours with a credit of what I would have to spend. When they called back I was floored...our credit was for $1700! That is $700 more then what we spent of the broken LG!

All in all with this credit we were able to spend another $93 and upgrade to a Whirlpool Gold bottom freezer with GREAT reviews and a recommendation from Consumer Reports. We are hopeful and so THANKFUL for what the Lord has done. Moral of the story. God works is ways that we can't even imagine. Many times he blessed us beyond what we deserved. And I can say that so far I LOVE THIS FRIG.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Gi, that is awesome!! Praise God for providing for your family in such a neat way. Yeah!

Jae Davis said...

I'm smiling and laughing, Gi. How awesome! What a refrigerator! God is amazing. Our "most impressive" imaginations and desires don't even hold a candle to what God can do, huh? Here's to many, many years of perfectly refrigerated food (that's supposed to be refrigerated) and perfectly frozen food (that's supposed to be frozen) in the Hime household!

Marisa and Nathan said...

How impressive! And what a great reminder that God IS working and He meets our needs in ways we can't even fathom! I love how you used the moment for ministry with the repair man guy. Thanks for challenging me to THINK! :)