Monday, November 26, 2012

Journaling-Saying that are shaping me...

"I signed up for this."
-My friend, Ruth, has said this numerous time when I mention how super busy she is with her four kids.  She always replies, I signed up for this.  She understood that life would be full with a husband/four kids/friends/family/house...and she is okay with that.  This short saying has helped me, a gentle reminder, that we chose to have kids.  Even if we though it would be dreamy (dressing up two cute kids, toting them to a holiday festivals, them smiling and not arguing, us with our coffee cups in hand having long conversations with family/friends while they play nicely), there are always two kids to the coin. :) Many days have come and gone that have been delightful and a huge blessing!  And also many days have come and gone that were difficult.   But I find myself repeating this saying and realizing in my heart that yes, I signed up for two kids, a house full of chores to be done, a husband that needs to be loved, relationships that need to be built, a fight for quietness and stillness before my King, serving those that need encouragement and it is okay. I can be thankful for what I have since I signed up for this life.

"Sometimes the days are long, but the years are short."
-An older lady stopped Justin and I in a store when Katie was about six weeks old.  I am sure she noticed how weary we were...She mentioned that Katie was a beautiful baby and then this saying.  It has definitely shaped how I view time with my kids.  To understand that some days are simply long and hard-and thats okay, but then when I look back already at Katie being five and Owen three...whew, it is true, the years are short.

"We are discipling our kids, which is an every minute on going process.  It's not about arriving; it is about being faithful."
-Justin and I were talking about this and it just never occurred to me to view raising our kids as discipleship.  Yes, we are discipling our kids. I used to have a saying on my mirror in High School that said, "there are little eyes upon you, watching what you do and say...", but for some odd reason this never translated into the raising of kids.  I subconsciously know this...but placing the term discipleship and training kids in the same sentence has put things into prospective.

"We live in a round a world."
-Justin told me this a few years ago.  I kept thinking as soon as we did "_____" things would change,  or things would settle down...life would be like I thought it would be.  But the truth is there is always another decision to be made and we don't turn corners we just keep going around.  Hopefully as we climb the mountain of life (going around and around and up the hill) we do continue to make decisions more quickly and with more wisdom.  So I am now more prone to be at rest in the current season of life and not look to turn a corner in order to enjoy more of the road God has us on.

"You will never feel the age you are.  You may be and look 89, but will feel decades younger.  You never feel like you thought you would feel at a specific age."
-My grandmother told me this and it has taught me much.  I remember her saying when she looks in the mirror she can tell she is old-all the wrinkles, her walker, her gray hair...But in her heart/mind she still wants to race the man next door because she feels she can beat him in a walker race.  :)  She says your memories take you to all different stages in your life and you can go back there with a simple thought. And for me I don't feel right now how I thought 34 would feel. I know I am getting older (I look in the mirror with my gray hairs and smile lines), but I still think of myself as a recent college grad though that was over 11 yrs ago.  I am thankful to know ahead of time that growing older needs to be filled with laughter, grace and acceptance in God's plan.  I don't want to grow into bitterness, but grace. We can't stop the days from winding down, but we can chose how to live those days.

"Be Faithful"
-To God, to your husband, to your kids, to your work, to your friends...

"You can't complain and be thankful at the same time."

"You narcissistic zero."
-ahhhh, thank you pastor Matt Chandler.  It is true, I think of myself way to often and way to highly... And it isn't about me.

"Be generous. God loved so much He gave."
-this includes: time, talent, treasure and relationships.

"In order to be a good cook, you need time and a delicious recipe."
-Make time and cooking will be enjoyable.  I have found that if the meal table is to be remembered as a wonderful family time, it is up to me to have that disposition.  And often times if I give cooking the time needed my heart is much calmer and it is more enjoyable for everyone.  The reality is I spend a lot of time in the kitchen.  When I realized this truth it helped.  Helped me to slow down and want to bring yummy food to my family's bellies.

What saying are shaping you?  Please leave a comment and let me know!





2 comments:

Dustin, Jessa, Paxton said...

Thanks Sister!!

Dustin and I have both read this blog post and it was full of some good insight and reminders!

Thanks and it helps me with knowing I choose this and with contentment :)

Love, Jess

Metlife said...

Hey Gi. I read this earlier today and wanted to comment then but...time didn't allow for it :). I really did appreciate it so much! They were all good reminders...wish some of them would have stuck for just a few hours later when I was quick to anger...Argh so frustrating that I go there so quickly.

A woman that I know from church said something along the same lines of what you had said. "The quicker you realize it is not about you the better it will be." I have said that in my head so many times. I can so easily make it about me, even w/o realizing it!!

Thanks Friend!