Thursday, May 6, 2010

A How To...

 


I was chatting with my sister and said that I was going to post a brief "how to plant a planter"...so here goes.

Here is one of our planters on the back porch, we have two. We planted them two weeks ago.

1. Grab a planter and fill with good soil leaving 1/3 unfilled to fill in after plants are in planter. I also placed a few packing peanuts in the bottom so that it drained better.

2. Pick out a large geramium for the center-ours was soft light pink.

3. Pick out a cordinating color hanging basket-ours has million bells (mini petunias) and snow storm. (fyi-this was large enough to be used in two planters, we split it into fourths)-light pink and white.

4. Pick out a cordinating large petunia-ours was yellow.

5. Pick out a cordinating Verbina-ours was dark pink.

6. Carefully split the hanging basket contents into fourths

7. Place the geramin in the center, surrounded by the verbina, hanging plants, Petunia, hanging plants.

8. Fill in the spaces where soil is needed, leaving an inch of space so that when watering the water does not spill the soil over the sides.

9. Keep watered...once maybe twice a day depending upon the temps.

10. Sit back and enjoy your FULL planter all summer!

Cost-We normally plant two planters and it costs about $30. I have tried to buy smaller plants and "wait" until they fill in and they normally do. But by buying smaller plants I only save about $8-10...I decided I would rather have two full planters to enjoy the whole summer then a bunch that never quite look great, that straggle along and are wimpy.
Thats my how to post... :) Hope everyone loves flowers as much as I do. They bring an encouragement, a joy, a softness to my heart and home.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jae Davis said...

Gonna share this with my momma, Gi. LOVE your idea of dividing pre-matured hanging baskets so your pots look filled to begin with. By the way I LOVE million bells because they just bloom and bloom and bloom. My FAVORITE is any kind of coneflower. I am addicted to growing different varieties of coneflowers! ;) Do you like Sweet William, or am I thinking of someone else?