Monday, May 3, 2010

Lemon Pine Nut muffins


SO...this is a MUST TRY recipe.
My friend Hollie made these and I just have to say....DELICIOUS.
Of course I love anything zingy, so baked goods with lemon...yum!
I did try these without the pine nuts as I didn't have any on hand and they were still delicious!

My changes are reflected in this recipe below. I got the recipe from Recession Kitchen blog

Lemon Pine Nut Muffins

Makes 8 muffins or 24 minis - Use organic ingredients whenever possible

1 lemon, zested and juiced. (I used a soft lemon to get more juice!)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
--I skipped (1/2 cup pine nuts, divided in half)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat your oven to 375°

1. Zest then juice the lemon.

2. Mix the lemon juice, zest, applesauce, honey, vanilla and melted butter in a bowl.

--I skipped this. (In a food processor, process 1/4 cup of the pine nuts with 1/4 cup of the flour.)

3. In a large bowl, mix together all the flour adding an extra 1/4 cup to cover the flour that the pine nuts make (--skipped this too, add pine nut flour mixture with the remaining flour, and about 1/8 cup of the remaining whole pine nuts).

4. Add the baking powder, soda and salt.

5. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry and stir until everything is well blended.

6. Spray mini muffin pan. Add muffin mixture to muffin pan

--Skipped this (Sprinkle the tops with pine nuts.)

7. Bake at 375 for about 15 minutes, test with a toothpick.

1 comment:

Dustin, Jessa, Paxton said...

I think that I will try and make these when Mimi, Grandpa, Uncle Tommy and Miss Julie come to our house for the weekend. Wish that you could also be here!!

Love you!
Aunt Pie