Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mountain holiday


Just when the leaves were turning we gathered up our fall stuff, jumped in the car and headed to Black Mountain. It was delightful! I had searched for a cabin for us to stay and in and since I started later in the fall nothing was available.

Bummed....but yet, God had something else in store for us. After emailing the 10th house-agh (I tried VRBO) an agency emailed back telling us they had a cottage open and was at a significantly reduced rate because the owners wanted it rented this weekend. (some other folks had backed out) Would we take it? I looked it up and though it was blue with white trim, we booked it! And it was a joy to be there for our stay. It had wide open wood beams and a wood burning fireplace. A cute kitchen that opened up into the family room, three bedrooms and a sleeping loft-that if the kids were older they would have LOVED! It was clean, simple, warm and inviting. It was just what we needed.

I was sad when we had to leave, but thankful, oh so thankful we got to go. Love the mountains, they provide perspective and rest to my soul. Given the option, Justin and I would both choose mountains over the beach. The beach has its draws, am thankful it is close by and as a kid I would have jumped at the beach-its activity, fun in the sun, fresh seafood, but these days the mountains sing to my heart.


Sky Top Orchards. Pink lady apples, picked straight off the trees. Juicy!
And the view one mile up a mountain?-breathtaking.
*remember for our next trip--this farm only takes cash and driving back down the mountain (though only three miles) takes about 40 minutes. Thanks Love. :)*
And for a special treat we got Apple Cider Donuts to celebrate Owen's birthday. They melted in our mouths, warm, sugary and worth the $1!


We. Love. Our. Kids.

We walked about a mile round trip to find trees that were brimming full of impeccable fruit.
Katie and Owen were troopers as was Justin since he carried about 40 lbs of apples!


Home for Corn Chowder in fresh sourdough bowls-delicious.



We had fun tooling around the town of Black Mountain. We loved all the shops!
Isn't this a great sign?? :)



Had to eat at My Father's Pizza and snag a drink at the Dripolator Coffee Shop. Sigh...
Our cozy cabin-'Sugarhaus'!

Can you see the fire in the background-it's almost out for the night? I LOVED that we had a wood burning fire everyday. And even more I love my husband.
Sweet siblings
Our precious princess running around enjoying a mountain park. I heart this photo!
I think her happy expression expresses how we all felt about our trip.

3 comments:

Joy said...

Gi- that looks like so much fun! Glad you were able to get away, we love black mountain as well!

Metlife said...

So so so glad you guys were able to get away! Don't forget we still owe you a date night!

Julie said...

Fabulous Pics!!! I know what you mean about the mountains filling your soul. So glad you had a great trip!! What an awesome cabin!