Monday, April 30, 2012

Journaling-watching

I pulled the warm laundry from the dryer a few minutes ago, moved it to the dining room table to fold while I watched the kids play outside.

Katie is spinning in circles.  They are both digging for worms and giggling at each other.  Owen marching across the yard with a hoe over his shoulder off to 'fix' something.

Now they are spitting out the dirt that somehow made it into their mouths.

I had this feeling....'this will pass'.  They are growing up. Katie is almost 5 and O is 2.5 and someday soon they will both be in school (no matter what we do-homeschool, regular) and the house will have more of these moments of quiet.  And I might think, oh, this is too quiet when right now I am grateful for this one quiet moment.

They will get older and care what they are wearing....right now it is blue Jayhawk football gear, purple KSU sweatshirt with white socks and brown work boots. And for Katie is a 'cheerleading outfit' aka last years 4th of July dress with a gray sweatshirt and pink go-go shoes.  She hasn't had her ponytail redone since last night either.

Their beds aren't made-no matter how hard I try to teach them to do it before they leave their rooms, they still sit unmade.  The toys that they were playing with earlier are strewn across their rooms and have tumbled out into the living room.  A load of laundry sits in the washer, releasing a strong odor since I forgot to turn it on last night...a stack of bills/recipts need my attention...

But our kiddos are making memories and being creative.  They are healthy and joyful. They are siblings and a daughter and son to us.  They love us and we love them.

Many days I forget to cherish these moments.  But this one that I am writing about is one that will last, its imprinted in my memory.

I'm thankful that the Lord impressed upon my mind to stop and watch-just watch them being kids.  Watch them playing and enjoying the creation around them.  I am sure in a few minutes there will be some disagreement that we will have to train through but until then...I am grateful for eyes to see my kids simply being kids and enjoy this moment.

2 comments:

Metlife said...

And I'm crying...such a sweet post!

Joy said...

mmmhmm. good words Gi!