Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What do you think? Trash or treasure...

Story...I was driving home from Raleigh and have been eyeing this chair at a "junk auction house" about 10 minutes from our house. It was stuffed back on the porch and I really wanted to go to the auction on Friday night at 7 pm just to see if I could snag it. As I was passing by I noticed that an older man was unloading things...so after a minute of contemplation I turned around at the next road. Katie was asleep in the back and I thought I might have a moment to swing in to ask if the chair was going to be up on the block this Friday evening. Well, to my excitment, he said, "I just might be willing to part with it if somebody was interested today." We settled on a fair price of $15 and it fit perfectly in the back of the Highlander and Katie SLEPT THROUGH IT ALL!

He said his name was Bill Baily, and looks like a tame Santa Clause. He does the "junk" auction house for fun he told me. I peeked inside and it was definately an experience. Stuff everywhere to dig through and then metal folding chairs with a variety of cushions on them-in all sorts of colors and shapes for the bidders to sit on. I would love to go with Justin sometime just to get a flair of the local people (and maybe find something neat! I love things that have stories!). He said that about 100 people float in and out on the Fridays and that he needed something to do in his old age. And since his hands shake and he can't hold many things he said that he could do the talking thing and get along just fine. :)

To get his stuff he goes to estate sales and gathers up the leftovers. Boy can he talk. :) He told me that one time he collected almost 1000 different kinds of zebras...another time he gathered up truck loads of Christmas decorations. He said it is worth stopping by, digging around to see if any of the junk might be a treasure for me. Nice guy and hopefully I'll find something else there in the future. What a fun story...

Stay tuned as I attempt to recover it for our bedroom. :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jae Davis said...

Gi,

I see the chair's potential. COOL! However, I'm thinking someone stole my Dad's early '70s leisure "coaching" suit to cover it... How'd it get from Ulysses to NC?! :)

Love Ya!
Jae