Saturday, October 15, 2011

Granola bars


I've tried a lot of recipes for granola bars....this is the one we have settled on that can pretty much be made in lots of ways and we haven't had a failed attempt yet! If you are in the market for a new recipe-give this one a try.

Chewy Granola Bars
(original recipe from-all recipes.com)

Ingredients
  • 4 1/2 cups rolled oats-I have substituted 1 cup of rice krispies for 1 cup oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour-I use all spelt flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened-I have used all peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • ------------------------
  • 1/4 cup milk-optional
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar-optional
  • 1 T. cinnamon-optional
  • 2 cups craisin-optional
  • 2 cups miniature semisweet chocolate chips-optional
  • 2 cups raisins-optional
  • 2 cups nuts-optional
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter, honey.
  3. MIX WELL for a few minutes until well combined. Add milk into mixture if it is to dry(-I've only had to do this once). Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.
  4. Press mixture into the prepared pan until smooshed with a piece of wax paper. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes then press down again with wax paper. Cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.
  5. Makes about 18 bars.
  6. --one of our favorites is all peanut butter and cinnamon. :)


3 comments:

Joy said...

sounds delicious. is peanut butter a better substitute for your bodies than butter? Aren't both fats about the same as far as benefits are concerned- or is it primarily the taste difference- with peanut butter being better than butter? I'm wondering which one to try first....

Justin and Gi said...

Joy, you are right that fats are both fine fats. I love the taste of nut butters, plus they add extra protein which I like. It also seems like butter is more expensive. But I use which ever one I have more of at that time...Sometimes peanut butter also contains extra sugar which I don't think it necessary. (I have some Peter Pan that someone gave us...that I am trying to use up...so I split 1/2 butter and 1/2 pb.) Almond butter also give it a unique and yummy flavor. Hope that helps! Happy baking. :)

Robin Muse said...

Yummo! I made these this afternoon, and I really really like them - new favorite for sure. :)