Saturday, July 7, 2012

A few things I love right now

(all photos from google images)

My toaster oven.  Even though we have a microwave we don't use it really at all.  I love that the toaster oven can cook my eggs for smashables in the morning.  It can reheat our left overs making them toasty and not turn into rubber.  I can toast 4 pieces of bread at once.  And I can even cook some other tasty treats leaving my kitchen much cooler then if I had turned on the regular oven!

Friends and pools.  Thankful for these things as the last 7 out of 8 days have been over 100!
Still a staple in our house...ice cream for dinner anyone??  :)
Plus, if we have leftovers they make great milk shakes with a little almond milk and pb.  OH YUM!
LLBean tote bags.  They last forever.  I bought our this spring with a gift card.  I have the medium and a large.  I love both, but for a family the large bag with a zipper and handles is wonderful!  Works great as a library bag, pool bag, overnight bag, you name it, it works for anything!
(the second from the left is the large)
Cold Brewed Coffee.  Even though I am limiting my caffeine because of being sensitive to it...I LOVE some decaf coffee made this way!  It lasts in the refrigerator for 3-4 weeks, is super smooth not bitter and easy to make.  All those are a winning combo for us!
Any music by Sara Grove.  
Summer Flowers bring such color and joy to our home.  I love sunflowers, hydrangeas, dahlias, daisies,   purple cone flowers, baby breath, lilies...the colors are bold and beautiful!
This amazing photo was taken in CO from google images. Breathtaking!
And Granola.  
I have finally made a good batch!  I tried a few times throughout our marriage, since Justin LOVES granola and it has always be unsuccessful.  
Here is the recipe that has worked. YAY!  I now feel a bit more confident and might try another version soon!

PB Granola Recipe.
Makes a lot!
I normally make a whole recipe then bake 1/2, saving the other 1/2 (in the frig.) for the following week to bake.   
Make sense?

1.Mix:

12 cups rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
optional-1 cup walnuts or 1 cup pecans or 1 cup sunflower seeds

2. Melt in a pan on the stove:

1 1/2 cups coconut oil, raw
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 T vanilla
2 T cinnamon

3. pour melted mixture over dry mix and blend until completely mixed and wet.
4. Bake at 320 for 20+ minutes-I usually do mine closer to 25 minutes, stirring it 1/2 way through
5. Remember when you pull the granola out of the oven it won't be crunchy yet.  After it cools it will be delicious and crispy!
6. Store in air tight container!

Thanks Beth for this wonderful recipe!!

No comments: