Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Donald Duck and the wet wipes-Plus-Jounaling, lying

Katie Story
I came around the corner and felt something wet on my sock. I looked down and noticed a piece of a wet wipe on the bottom of my foot. I looked in the kids bathroom and found the wet wipe container open. I had just told Katie a few hours ago that the new wet wipe box was not for using on her baby dolls. If they had a "dirty diaper" then she could use on of her doll wipes, NOT a real one. I was then interested in what Katie would say happen and praying that somehow I wouldn't have to discipline her over using them...

I called her into the bathroom and asked why she had used the wet wipes.

Katie, "Momma, Donald Duck said he needed some."
Me, "WHAT? Excuse me?" I asked.
Katie, "Mommy, Donald Duck needed to use them."
Me, "Amazing Katie, you are amazing." :)

Sooooo, I prayed about it and we just talked about telling the truth and being creative and when to use each one in three year old fashion.

Journaling-lying
Lying is one of the things God says he hates in Proverbs 6:16-19. I want to teach our kiddos from an early age that lying is not acceptable, it's not right. It does not help build relationships of trust and vulnerability. And it does not allow us to connect with our Father in heaven. So I am on a mission to find ways to teach Katie (and Owen) the difference between lying and being creative/imaginative. It has been challenging. I don't want to squelch her imagination/creativity and yet, Donald Duck using the wet wipes? :)

The one thing I have decided (and Justin agrees) is that lying will be immediately disciplined. And I will try my darnest to not give her the opportunity to lie in the first place by asking questions like, "What happened with the wet wipes?" or "Why did you use the wet wipes?". Instead of questions like, "Did you play with the wet wipes?"

These two questions may sound the same, but really they are a bit different. The first one helps her tell the truth, I assume (hopefully by looking at the facts around me) that the action happened and we need to deal with it. If I only asked the second question they I would be asking her if she even played with the wet wipes when in fact I already know she played with them because she is the only one who could have except me. Does this make sense?

I am praying a lot about this. I want to help train her heart while it is teachable!

Do you have any thoughts? Helpful verses? Ideas on this?

Jesus, May your power affect her (ours and Owen's) cold hard heart. Till the soil of her heart until it is turned to you the true King of light and life.

1 comment:

Dustin, Jessa, Paxton said...

I really enjoyed reading this. I can definitly see the difficulty between creativity and lying. I am sure that in the future we will have to deal wiht that same issue. Great thoughts sis!