Saturday, February 4, 2012

When Should a Kid Start Kindergarten?

I read this article in time New York Times Magazine-When Should a Kid Start Kindergarten-and it has given me a lot to chew on in reference to when we start Katie in 'school'.  She is a very creative girl, never has gone to preschool (though I am not opposed to it), explored museums, done classes like gymnastics, swimming and dance, had many playdates, weekly trips to the library, etc...we have done lots of things that would be related to learning from an 'unschooling' approach thus far.  Though she loves the workbooks I've picked up or family have sent as presents too.

She is still just 4 1/2 years old and I think needs to learn within the midst of playing and the areas she is drawn to.  For example, we can learn about how things grow when we plant our garden.  Or we are learning about a few artists since she loves to paint.  We have talked about how God has created us and this world when we explore the walking path while exercising.  We've allowed her to interact with adults (the college girls living with us) teaching rich vocabulary and good question asking skills. I am not saying that 'unschooling' is for us long term, but it has been great to see her LOVE learning, playing, being creative and grow in awe of the world around us.

Oh and I love the ideas in Montessori education.  I value the foundation that classical ed brings. I appreciate the structure that traditional schooling provides.  etc. etc. etc.  Oh, the choices!  Then there is public, private, charter, homeschooling...  whew!

Katie will be 5 in May and we originally thought we would start her in Kindergarten this August.  But I am struggling with her being 'young' in her classes.  I would much rather see her grow more in her maturity, confidence, ability to grasp ideas...before 4-6 hours are spent specifically doing a curriculum. I think.

We are learning how to read and it is in 10-20 minutes a day.  She LOVES it.  So I know she would love to keep doing school or go to school...that will only keep me on my toes to plan and research things to expose the kiddos too.

So many options and so many things to consider.  We don't know what we will do yet (start her or keep her out one more year)...but at least there are plenty of things to read giving us food for thought and this article being one.  Not to mention the many hours still to pray and seek His direction for our oldest sweet girl.

Praying for wisdom, humility and listening ears.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

There really is so much to consider with this. Graham will turn 5 two weeks after the school year begins, so he will be young too. He is familiar with a two day a week school model (and this year I've been there since I'm teaching). The jump to 5 days a week for 6+ hours a day is one I don't know he nor I am ready for. Then there is the issue of a poor school system in our town. I've thought about homeschooling but am not fully confident he and I would enjoy working together in this way (although our struggles are probably more an issue of his maturity then anything else). There is so much to consider and our teacher backgrounds probably complicate it that much more :) Thankfully the Lord knows our children better than us so seeking His wisdom is crucial.