Saturday, February 4, 2012

Journaling-something about a song

I've been singing through songs that 'spoke' to me at certain times in my life.  A few are below from college.  I am amazed at how strongly these songs take me back to those fun or challenging times.  I can tell you many minute details about where/when/how long I listened to each music.  I am thankful to the Lord of Heaven and Earth that HE chose to give us the gift of sound and music.

Do any of these songs bring back memories for you?

This one is one that even Justin says reminds him of me.  I listened to this countless times while I lived in CA nannying for two little kiddos (my cousins).  It was a growing time to be sure.  I still love this song and I am praying daily to fall in live with Jesus.

Love Song for a Savior-Jars of Clay



I can remember driving down to Virgil KS with the windows down, my friend Tiffany in the seat next to me singing this song at the top of my lungs.  I didn't really car of Rick Mullins, but when Tiffany because a Christian it played nonstop in our ADPI room.  The countryside out there in KS was wide open spaces and warm sunshine.  I can remember thinking....hold on to this song.  The words are life-giving.

Creed-Rich Mullens


Again when I lived in CA I struggled with not knowing what to do next in my life.  These words gave me the hope that things would continue to change and that yes, a bright shiny day will come after the rain. It may be a long stretch of sunshine or a brief glimpse through the clouds, but God WILL be faithful to lead me through. (and yes, I know this rap :)

After the Rain -K2S


ADPI.  Running.  Rafiki.  English accents.  Dr. Pepper.  Sunshine.  Windows rolled down.  100 degree days.  Playing and replaying this song until we knew every word by heart.  Katie, this time was precious to me, the fact that you wanted to hang out with me and run together until the souls of our shoes practically fell off after our 1/2 marathon!

Down by the Riverside-Kirk Franklin


I chose to rush at KSU so that I could somehow get in with the 'cool' fashionable girls.  It changed my life.  The LORD used that time in so many ways. He challenged me to live out my faith, to have fun no matter what others think of you, to be comfortable in a house full of girls... I can remember my freshman year and wanting to quite about every week, but Amy, you stayed by me and hang out listening to my every thought encouraging me to stay at it.  And then having some of the best roomies like Libby to create late night memories-always up late at night.  Or getting up to study the Bible/pray with Kristen, but falling asleep on the couches downstairs.  Or crazy date night costumes. Or Jae trying to teach me to sing.  Or smiling for days on end through rush again.  Or my classes freshman retreat and driving through a blizzard, almost killing ourselves.  Or being able to welcome in a new class of freshman by the time I was a senior and say, I love being in a sorority.  Or being sung to at my wedding surrounded by girls, or, or, or...I could go on and on and on.  I still LOVE my 'sisters'. Seriously.

Love Can Build A Bridge


Then there were songs by Will Smith, Mariah, Christina A, Destiny's Child, Boyz II Men, Celine D...  :)  Oh so many memories!

1 comment:

*Melissa Anne* said...
This comment has been removed by the author.