Monday, August 13, 2012

On Making Spaghetti

Katie and Owen requested Spaghetti this past weekend for dinner.  Noodles are a sure favorite at our house.  Justin went to the store and bought some angel hair noodles and a jar of sauce. Katie had asked for this meal a few days ago and I forgot to plan it.  So I made dinner within 20 minutes (which was nice) and we sat down to eat.  We got half way through our bowls and then were surprised.  Neither of the kids liked the meal.  They ate a portion of it and then said they were finished.  Why? I asked.  They both agreed that this noodle and sauce was not good compared to my 'awesome'-Katie's word-homemade sauce.  It caught me off guard.  For the first time my kids out loud said they preferred something homemade and they could tell the difference in store bought/can/jarred sauce.  I was thankful.  This is something that I really want for my kids.  Not that they are food snobs and I definitely don't want them to be...  -And if you have us over for dinner we will eat WHATEVER, THANKFULLY!  But I am grateful that they like real food.  Foods that have been seasoned correctly.  Foods that take a bit of time to make.  Foods that are full of nutritious stuff.  And I am glad to be able to make it for them.  The meal table hasn't always been a easy place.  Sure there are some meals my kids would prefer to NOT eat.  But someday I would love to have my kids home from college and have them ask for my bread or whatever their tummies want.  I love when my family comes in and says it smells good in here because of something cooking.  I want them to have good memories around food.  I want our family to fellowship around the dinner table.  
I want them to see and taste that the Lord is good!
It was a great reminder that good food doesn't have to take a lot of time (though it can), but it does take intentionality and planning.  And I am finding it is worth it!

-Please don't hear me saying that I make the following recipe all from scratch.  I never have used my own homegrown tomatoes, made noodles or grown the other ingredients...By homemade I am referring to putting together the bulk of the meal.  I am sure others are really making it completely homemade-way to go, I need to learn from you!

-Does anyone have a good jarred spaghetti sauce?  I'd love to have one on hand for the times when things like this do happen. 

Here is our best noodles and sauce recipe!

Lady and the Tramp Spaghetti and Meatballs
-this is always delicious and it freezes well.  Oh and it is a great meal to share!

Sauce:
1 cup Onion
1 T Olive Oil
1 T Butter-optional
1 Can 28 oz Stewed tomatoes (have more flavor) -but I have used diced before and 
   they worked fine
2 Cans (6 oz each) tomato paste
1 T Honey
1 t salt
1 t basil
1/2  t oregano
1/4 t marjoram
1/4 t paprika
dash pepper

Meatballs:
2 eggs
2 garlic cloves minced
1 T parsley
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 cup grated parmesan-optional

Sauce-
1. Sauté onion in oil and butter until tender and sweet
2. Stir in tomatoes-cut them up if you want a smaller dice, paste, honey, and seasoning 
3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.  
*If just using sauce without meatballs, simmer for at least 30 minutes.
*And if you like more seasonings, season away!

Meatballs-
1. Beat eggs, garlic and parsley
2. Add beef and mix well
3. Sprinkle in cheese and bread crumbs-mix in gently
4. Shape into 1 inch balls-add these to sauce

Cover and simmer about 45 minutes.
Server over pasta or rice

I normally double this if we have company or if I want to freeze some.  Also good as meatball subs!

2 comments:

Metlife said...

Gi, reading this makes me miss you more than you know!

Unknown said...

I'm at work right now and should NOT be reading your blog... BUT go BUY Bittersweet by Shauna Niquist. I think it will nourish you. Your comment about gathering people around the table to taste and see that the Lord is good is a resounding thrum in my life. Shauna articulates it well! You'll love it- I think!

Do not pass go, do not collect $200- go get the book!

:)