Wednesday, August 1, 2012

It was like, "We Bought A Zoo".

First stop in KS...Tanganyika Wildlife Park!
My sister, Jessa picked us up from Wichita Mid-Continent Airport and wisked us away to a secret destination-'Africa' to Katie and Owen!
It was A-MAZING.  
If you live in KS, go and check out this park.  It isn't large, meaning that one can walk around it in a few hours, but the best part is getting to touch or feed so many animals!  They have worked to make it interactive and hands on.  And you'll be able to tell from the photos we got very very close to these beautiful animals!
Thank you Pie, for our adventure! (And thanks to Sherry for all the free goodies-what a blessing! You all run an incredible wildlife park.)

And this giraffe was about 3 feet behind Owen-wow!
Even though at 6 pm it was still hot - above 100 degrees - we were ready to see it all!
When we walked out of the entrance doors we were greeted with giraffes incredibly close by!  There aren't any fences for these animals because the giraffes are to heavy to hold their weight if they stepped up on the stone wall.   Amazing!  We tried to feed these guys some lettuce at the feeding station, but they walked right by us.  They are HUGE!

WOW...wouldn't want this guy chasing me down. He is a real life tank!
I chose to feed the birds...WHAT was I thinking!??  Okay I wasn't thinking!  The whole time they were eating their nectar out of the cup, I was saying...hurry up and finish!!!!!!   Take the picture I am about ready to loose it!!!  Robin, yes, thought of you and I am with you...never again will I feed birds.  But alas, I am alive so it was okay.

We were so close to the big cats, that I felt a bit like I was being stalked. They are incredible animals as well.  And the snow leopards in the above photo I couldn't believe I had held in college at a Fort Hays Cross Country Meet as a kitten!  
We got to pet the kangaroos which were super soft.

And the turtles...
Hey there Paxton, thank you for being so chill the whole time!  You did great riding around with your cousins pushing you everywhere.  :)  Amazing job for a 1 year old!
The kids LOVED feeding the bunnies.
A HUGE HUGE play set to run and play on!
And I didn't know they existed...but there is such a thing as a warm weather penguin!  
This guy did some swimming and performing for us.  It was great to see a real penguin after reading Mr. Popper's Penguins!
My favorite were the Lemurs.  They were pretty soft and cuddly!  I liked the babies the best.
Owen wanted to sit on my lap, but he wasn't so sure about feeding them.
This big kid did great!  He had no nap this day and finally fell asleep at 10:05 pm in the middle of a sentence while driving back to Salina.  love him.
Yes, I look tired?  And I was!  But look at the other big trooper in the back...Katie you did a great job with a happy attitude and a willing spirit to see everything the park had to see!
We were happy, hot and sweaty.  Thanks again for the adventure, Pie!

1 comment:

Robin Muse said...

Oh. MY. NIGHTMARE!! :)