Monday, October 1, 2007

A Book Blog about Heaven at Home...

Hey all!!!
There are about 7 women reading and responding to the book Heaven at Home by Ginger Plowman and I have been getting a few of them to email me their thoughts. I received Krista's who is overseas on ther first few chapters and wanted to post it all for you to read. I wholeheartedly agree with her saying it has been a huge encouragement to her. Read what she has to say below and then leave a comment if you want!
And for those that are also reading the book....send me your thoughts when you have a minute!!
Rock on Readers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Krista...

First, I love that she premises everything on our life’s premise – we exist to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Everything we do should be for the glory of God and not our gain. Thus, being a godly wife and mother is what we should strive for because of who HE is and not because of the things we can gain, no matter how worthy those goals may be – a good marriage, godly children, etc.

Chapter one – Isn’t it interesting how someone’s attitude really can build us up or bring us down. This is probably why the Bible says that we should only say those things that are useful for encouraging, building up, and spurring one another on to good works (my paraphrase J). As a wife and mother, my tone can set the stage for everyone on my family. What an awesome responsibility I have to make sure I’m connected to His vine so that I can have a godly attitude each day, no matter what the day brings.

I also enjoyed her discussion on the Biblical basis for homemakers and was reminded of the course I took at SEBTS – wife of the equipping minister. Did you take that? Anyway, very good stuff from Genesis about our role (I’m wishing I’d brought those notes with me to Egypt right now!).

Chapter two – yes, God knows our circumstances but we can walk with him throughout the day. When Lydia was little I used my times nursing to read my Bible. Now that’s she older and nurses less frequently and much faster, I can again have time in the morning. That said, I’ve been challenged to walk and talk with Him at all times throughout the day – to pray without ceasing. I’m also reading another book on prayer and have been challenged by the thought of, “If I don’t pray fervently for my child, who will???” What a challenge to be my child’s prayer warrior everyday of her life!

Chapter 3 – Even more challenging than chapter 2!! Oh, yes I long to make my husband’s home a place he longs for all day! Personally, my problem is not preparing the house, etc., but slowing down once he is home and just joining his world (more on this in another chapter). But, yes, little eyes are watching and what an awesome responsibility to model being a godly wife for my little girl. Speaking of that, isn’t wonderful having a little girl???!!!! GREAT suggestions in this book on how to make his home a refuge and home life more fulfilling.

Chapter 4 – Being a great mom – yes this is my heart’s desire and prayer. Oh that I would raise godly children that He would use to glorify His name among the nations! Motherhood is the most important job there is – which is why I just don’t understand all the moms in America who work outside the home and put their kids in childcare. Motherhood is a calling and I pray I would be found faithful!!! P. 44 – I noted most everything. Learning to communicate with our children is going to be so very important. Asking great questions, not always lecturing, but gently guiding them to see the answer – this is our role. I want Lydia to know I’m her biggest fan and she can come to me with anything. Even at such a young age, it is SO MUCH FUN to get into her world and play together and talk to her (of course, there’s still not much talking back J). p. 45 – “Communicating is the only way to really know your child.” As a mother, we have to daily place a priority on this. I love the list of question suggestions. I wrote at the end of the chapter, “O Lord! Help me to be a godly mother who points my children – lovingly and with laughter, fun, and memories – to glorify our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!”

And thats all she wrote folks!

No comments: