Sunday, November 30, 2008

Quiet Time...eventually!

 

After reading, Heaven at Home, by Ginger Plowman, I decided when Katie was old enough to start a quiet time with her. She suggests that you use a blanket and that they are to have this quiet time to read books, do puzzles, color (when they are old enough!), play something that is by themselves and safe if I were to leave the room. So I have been doing this on a daily basis for about 10 minutes at a time. Katie DOES NOT like it. The first day I placed the blanket on the kitchen floor while I was making bread and she "read". Instead of enjoying it, she complained the whole time! She did obey and did not get off the blanket. She stayed within the boundaries that I placed, which was fantastic! She did try to throw off her toys, but after a short disciple and a talking to her about what I expected (which went like this..."Katie I expect that you would play quietly on your blanket and that all your toys would stay on the blanket too. Do you understand?" And she did! She looked at my eyes and said, "Yes, mom". Now she still complained (which we will have to address as heart issues) but did at least not throw off her toys. She understands SO SO much. Boy are little kids smart. But it is now getting slowly better and I am excited to try it when we are in KS. This will be a way, I am hoping, to help her learn to sit quietly when I am doing a few things or when we are in a place that could be strange to her like on a holiday trip! I'd love to know if anyone else does something like this. So far it is great. I am going to stick with it. :)

Above is Katie's protest. :)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jae Davis said...

Miss Gi,

Right on, Gi! This is so important. I did this with all of my kids, and while they're not always perfect at preoccupying themselves, they have learned the necessity of being respectful when I need to do something and can't be right there OR when we are at someone's home or in public where attention is not on them. I was so proud of all four of them when we went to our final home school co-op program. Justis and Madalynn not only paid attention and remained quiet for the presenters, they helped Dawson and Jillian keep occupied and content. Jillian and Dawson knew they had to behave and not be a distraction! You are right on, and I will be praying for your patience in this, as I know it takes persistence. The persistence will pay off...with eternal benefits!

Go Mommy Gi!

Love Ya!
Jae