Sunday, May 1, 2011

journaling-The secret to dealing with fear and anxiety

Humility.

I found this blog post by Ed Welch extremely helpful as I walk this journey of life.

The first line and then a bit further down read:

“Humble yourselves.” That’s the secret. It has been there all along, but we rarely use it.

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. (1 Peter 5:6-7)

“Humble yourselves” is the only exhortation in the passage. This is what Peter wants us to hear (and obey). If we jump in at the middle—it makes no sense. We can’t cast our cares on him until we have recognized that he is God and we are his servants who have also been elevated to become his children.


I have been seeking to humble myself in the joys and sorrows of what Christ has for me each and everyday. Most of the time I skip the first part of this verse and just cast my care on him. But this thought (from the blog post at Restoring Christ to Counseling and Counseling to the Church) has changed my thinking to be more on my knees trusting a sovereign God as my King.

Some days I can walk with confidence and joy. Other days I am stricken with fear about the unknown.

But every time I want to sing my own praises or fall into despair I have remembered this thought on humility. ...And it has been lifegiving!

Plus it is a good reminder to read entire passages and verses of scripture and not just pick and chose what we cling to...

I hope it sparks peace in you too. :)

No comments: