Saturday, January 21, 2012

Journaling-"Listening" for 2012

I've contemplated for the past few weeks my thoughts for this new year.  I've read some blogs and listened to a few folks talk about their new years resolutions for 2012.  I've prayed and asked the Lord, what is it He wanted to me to focus on...and it seems to be elusive. Should I pick 10 things or two to work on...should I list them or develop the ideas into categories....Then it popped into my head yesterday, this one word...

LISTEN

Listen to ME.  Listen to your husband.  Listen to your kids.  Listen to your body.  Listen to your friends.  Listen to your family.  Really, listen to what is going on.  I think that I 'thought' I listened well,  but have come to realize that I don't.  I can't do two things at the same time very well.  I am to caught up in my own thoughts most of the time that I miss things.  I need to stop and be okay focusing on one thing to listen (and understand!).

...I want to hear what Katie is so excited about and get excited about it with her.  I want to engage in the story Justin is relaying to me and communicate back with him.  I want to take those short naps, listening to my getting older-can't make it all night without sleep-body. I want to listen to family and friends and hear what it is they are trying to say.  I want to listen to Owen as he learns new words -the joys and struggle of communicating.

So this year, I want to listen.  I want to hear the funny moments, the hard moments of rebuke, the songs my kids sing, the compliments my husband gives me, the struggles of my friends, the joys of my family and most importantly the Word of God.  -"Oh that My people would listen to Me." Ps 81:13

And I want it to change the way I live.  I want to have a listening heart that grows in truth.  I want to listen to older women telling wisdom, hear them and then put those nuggets into action.  I want to therefore listen and follow through!  It is a blessing to be able to grow old.  But not everyone grows old well.  And I want this year of listening to grow me into a better wife, momma, friend, sister, daughter, child of God.

Keep me accountable peeps who read my blog!

-And I am thankful as I look back over last years post here, that I have done a lot of these things, these 10,000 little things.  Though I haven't done everything as much as I would have liked it was a great exercise for the year.  Thankful to look back and see God's faithfulness in the mundane.

2 comments:

*Melissa Anne* said...

You remembered your word. I like it.

Joy said...

I think perhaps this might be harder than anyone's list! Seriously- this needs constant work in my life!