Monday, July 7, 2008

This Girl Can GRILL!

One of my summer goals was to finally learn how to grill. I knew the basics of grilling, but Justin (or dad growing up) has always done it. Now that we live a bit farther out and Justin can't always get home in time to grill dinner before Katie goes down, I made it a goal to learn how! I have tried in the past to learn, but it has either gone awry (food falling through or completely burned :) or I have gotten hurt. The last time I tried to grill by myself I scorched my eyebrows almost completely off! It was a bad deal. Since then (almost 2 years ago) I have stayed away from the grill machine.

But not any more! I can happily say that I have successfully sauted all sorts of veggies, chicken and roasted red peppers. I even got to enjoy the view as I was grilling!

And yes, it did taste yummy! I used the rest of the veggies you see in the second photo for a delicious pizza tonight-topped with grilled chicken! (Next time I am going to try to grill the pizza too!) I am on my way and am grill happy! :)

What are your summer goals? Any other girls up for being grilling machines? :)


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was the same as you - my dad growing up or Ed were always the grillers. But I have learned the joy of grilling this summer. I like to cook on the grill instead of the oven so the house doesn't get so stinkin' hot.

My favs? Grilled bone-in chicken breasts, steaks & veggie packets. My dad taught me the chicken - rub seasoned salt on under the skin, heat the grill up, then put the chicken on one side and turn off the heat on that side but leave it on high on the opposite side. Cook for 20 minutes, then switch to the other side and switch the flame around and grill for 20 more minutes(this is called indirect grilling - I did not know this before!). It is SO yummy!!

Jae Davis said...

A good grilling recipe

Lemon Terragon Chicken Packets

Julienne squash and carrots and green, red or yellow peppers. Get out your HEAVY DUTY foil and divide the veggies out on separate sheets of foil...enough for everyone to have a packet. Then cut raw chicken breasts into 1" pieces and put them on top. Salt and pepper each packet and then add fresh lemon terragon (I have some growing in a pot) or some dried terragon to taste and a drop or two of lemon juice. Top each packet with a tablespoon of butter, wrap tightly (openings will cause the packets to get dry and BURN). Grill for 15-20 minutes and serve. Great mild flavor. ALL of my family loves it...truly a miracle!

Keep your eyebrows away from the grill and you'll be good to go, Gi!

Love Ya!
Jae