Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Mornings.

Mornings around here are rough. I don't understand how we all can get pretty good sleep at night, wake up to a sunny day, but with such poor attitudes. It confounds me. I know that Justin and I have seriously prayed about our attitudes in the morning, but how do you help your kids? We have prayed and prayed, but what else?

One thing I have found is that I NEED to prepare for breakfast, as much as I can, the night before. This helps me a lot when the kids are hungry and desiring something right way. (thanks Brandy for the reminder to cut up fruit or soak oatmeal. :)

Another thing is that I need to be awake before I go into get them, so that my attitude is one of joy and seeking to help them adjust their expectations of the day. They don't need a momma bear, stumbling in to get them up!

Thirdly, I have found that I need to give them space and time to adjust to being awake, just like me. I don't need to demand that they be joyful right away, but have asked them to be quiet until they are ready to be compassionate and kind. It helps that we have again asked Katie to play in her room until we are ready and let Owen stay in his crib too until we are ready. They are learning how to be wake up slowly and with patience.

And lastly I have found that the more creative I can be with food in the mornings, the better.
I think this morning was done well! As I finished some eggs/toast the kids sat on the floor eating Cheerios out of the mini muffin pan with great excitement. They ate out of their own sides and loved doing it themselves.
*It is a bummer that I still can't get Owen's nose to stop running...what other allergy could it be?? It is much better though then last week. And he is still his energetic self!
Katie loved it too!
And look at that rolled tongue. I can't do anything special with my tongue (I can't blow bubbles, whistle, twist my tongue, nothing!). Glad you got your Daddy's genes on that one little girl. :)
Note to self....do this more often! :) I have also done this with cut up fruit and it is amazing how easily they eat all kinds of stuff in this pan.

Anyone else have other ideas for morning routines??
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Joy said...

two cents for what it's worth:
-Shaun does morning duty of getting Augustine up, and he is wonderful at being happy in the morning. so we bank on his strength in that area.
-Augustine gets a sippy cup first thing in the morning when shaun goes to greet him.
-Literally right after he gets a sippy cup he gets a banana or a left-over pancake or anything that can be handed to him to eat immediately.
We've found that having a happy greeter, drink, and food to be very helpful for Augustine to enjoy his mornings just like us. Sometimes we let him do something fun first thing in the morning to enjoy the start of the day, rather than whine it away-similar to your idea with the muffin pan.
Hope you continue to figure out more fun alternatives to whine-y mornings!

Anna said...

I've found that letting my son (Dexter) go outside to pee and poop first thing in the morning makes him really happy. Maybe you could try that. Then I give him a water bowl and food. He loves that too. Just some ideas from one parent to another. jk jk jk

but seriously, love seeing these sweet pictures of your family. hugs, but not too many :)