Saturday, January 16, 2010

Come On...Roast your own beans!

So after hearing all about it, Justin and I decided to dive into roasting our own coffee beans! Yummm.....they are superb! I am not sure why didn't do it before now!
Justin is getting incredibly good at roasting our fresh beans. The beans are filled with delectable flavors in the morning and it is THE way to start our day. Not to mention that roasting our own beans take about 5 minutes and is 1/2 the price. *And when nursing in the middle of the night, I would be lying if I didn't say I didn't think about getting a delicious cup of coffee in a few hours. It is that good! :)

Below are the items that we used for our roast.
1-A restructured air popcorn maker.
2-A tin baked bean can (on top of the popcorn maker).
3-Green Beans, from Sweet Maria's or Seven Bridges.
4-Cookie Sheet or Pizza Pan
5-Jars to hold the roasted beans
6-Measuring cup
7-Newspaper to pour the beans into the jars.

Pick your green bean. (Right now I am digging Mexican or Sumatra beans. We tried Tanzanian and they are tea like with chocolate after-notes so they are neat to try, but not my favorite.)

Now put in 2/3 cup of beans (because it keeps the beans from flying out in Justin's opinion), turn on the maker and shake or twirl the beans for about 5-6 minutes.

The beans start to roast, chaff flies out (do your roasting outside so you don't make a huge mess :), listen for the first crack (a light roast) and second cracks (darker roasts), pour out the beans to cool them off and put into jars.

Give some to friends, drink a cup and ENJOY!

*Sweet Maria's is a great site for instructions as well as beans!

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Jae Davis said...

I don't like coffee, Gi, but this post ALMOST makes me want to try again. ;)